Any business registered in the EU, can compete for public contracts in other EU countries. The value of the contracts open to public tenders in the EU is approx. €420 billion per year; the healthcare industry is a major purchaser.
The following resources can help you better understand the tender procedures in the EU, which have been harmonized across all Member States for tenders above a certain value.
- Full overview of the rules and procedures for EU tenders, including thresholds.
- Innovation Partnerships provide more flexible opportunities.
- US businesses can receive free consulting through the Enterprise Europe Network.
- International companies without an EU subsidiary can bid in EU tenders inline with the International Tender Regulations.
- Analysis: “Non-EU bids on EU public contracts”.
Where to find public tenders?
There are EU tender databases as well as national databases, e.g.
- The EU’s public tender database TED
- Germany’s national public tender database (in German only, English site under construction).
Horizon 2020 – Even more innovation opportunities!
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation program ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014-2020). Learn more about Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe, an ambitious €100 billion research and innovation program that will succeed Horizon 2020.